Seeking the Face of God (Part 1)
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- What was the reason God provided on why He would not go up among the people (Exodus 33:3)? How often do we stop and reflect on our sin and its effort to veil God’s presence from us?
- Why did the people still worship God when He and Moses met outside of the camp? Is your worship easier with pleasant or difficult circumstances?
- God’s presence, as light, is no longer outside of the camp, or in the temple-but is reaching out to those scattered because of what?
- How does God’s light shine through us today?
- What does it mean to “know fully, even as I have been fully known” (1 Corinthians 13:12)? Are you seeking -do you desire- the face of God?
Title: Seeking the Face of God (Part 1)
Series: Living in the Holy Spirit
Text: Key Passage- Deuteronomy 8:3
Main Idea: God’s Word Fills, Transforms & Leads us!
- “Man shall not see me and live.”
- Because of the people’s stubbornness, God will not go before them personally (Exodus 33:3)
- The People mourn the state of this relationship (v4-6)
- God visits Moses in his tent- far outside of the camp (Vv.7-11)
- The People would worship (v.10)
- Moses and God were good relationally (v.11)
- Moses asks God to go with His family; God affirms (Vv.12-17)
- This is based on receiving and being shaped by God’s Revelation of Himself (v.13)
- Moses desires to know God as God knows him (Vv.18-23)
- God’s Word must go before Him; accomplishing His sovereign Purpose. Moses is not pursuing God; God is drawing Moses closer!
- Amidst fasting from bread and water, Moses feeds off every Word from God, beholding the Presence of God (34:1-9)
- Jesus: God’s Veiled Face
- Jesus, as a brighter light enters this world making God known (John 1:9-18)
- Jesus is still God’s face Veiled (Mark 9:2-8)
- No longer restricted to the Temple (Matthew 27:45-51), God’s light of invitation goes out into all the scattered in the world (Acts 17:22-31)
III. Jesus: God’s Unveiled Glory
- As Moses and the Law were a veiled light of God, Jesus and the Gospel are the veil removed, inviting us and the world closer to Him! (2 Corinthians 3:12-4:6)
- We will be like Him when we see Him, (I John 3:1-3) and will know Him as He knows us (1 Corinthians 13:12)!
- All shadows / veils are removed as God’s Glory engulfs His Family (Revelation 21:22-26)