Going deeper questions (Life Group)
C & ma | Helping people say yes! to god
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- What did the Spirit show Paul in the man who would be healed? What did the man possess?
- How did the people respond to Paul and Barabbas? What did Paul do?
- Was healing at Paul’s disposal? How could he heal this man but not himself?
- What is humility? What is boldness? Explain how they work together.
- How do you humble yourself before God? Is it hard or easy? Why?
- How is seeking God in Faith knowing God? Can people see Jesus in your weakness or is the vale of pride preventing God from overflowing Grace through you into them?
Title: Seeking the Face of God (Part 2)
Series: Living in the Holy Spirit
Text: Key Passage- Deuteronomy 8:3
Main Idea: Knowing God as He Knows Us!
I. The Gospel in Word and Power (Acts 14:9-23)
- Led by the Spirit, Paul’s eyes fasten on a man, crippled from birth- never having walked before. (Vv.8-9)
- Paul, seeing that he had faith to be made well (v.9), loudly calls him to stand (v.10).
- The crowds attribute this miracle to their gods and offer sacrifice to Paul and Barnabas (Vv.11-13) who quickly turn their eyes to the true source of this healing (Vv.14-18)
- As men sharing God’s Image- the Gospel is an invitation to turn to God (v.15)
- Although casting them out (Gen 6) to pursue darkening hearts (Romans 1), He still cared for them (Vv.16-17)
- Traveling persecution finds Paul in this state and stones him (v.19)
- Divine Healing restores him and empowers him to carry on the Mission of the Gospel- in Word and Power! (Vv. 20-23)
II. Balancing Humility and Boldness (2 Corinthians 12:1-10)
- Paul presents the balance of His Divine Presence among his Human sinfulness (Vv.1-4)
- Third Heaven ->paradise / paradeisos <- God with Man.
- Genesis 1:26-31 / 2:7-9 -> 3:7-10
- Promise -what only God can speak into our lives (authority) / not of ourselves. We affirm God’s promises in our lives! (v.4)
- The Boldness God desires to channel His Gospel is the emptying of ourselves through humility to receive and move in His strength. (Vv.5-10)
- Humility empties us of Pride -> Psalm 10:4
- Boldness is the filling of God ->Romans 8:31-39
III. Seeking Him is the Journey to Knowing God
· 1 Chronicles 16:8-34 (Note Vv.8-13)
· Hebrews 11:6- Faith is essential. (Remember: Acts 14:9)