Seeking the Face of God (Part 3)
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- Why do you think the author of 1 Kings mentions the lack of fatherly leadership from David in 1:6? Why do you think David avoided this? Do you find yourself prone to avoid hard conversations?
- How is the story of Adonijah a lesson for us today? Is narcissism still a present struggle for believers today? If so, why?
- What example does Paul encourage us to look to in order to loosen the grip of narcissism in our hearts? (Philippians 2:1-11).
- Explain the chief difference between tongues & prophecy in 1 Corinthians 14. How can narcissism affect their use? How does Christ like humility affect their use? If you are serving at Cornerstone, do others see selfish narcissism or Christ like humility?
Title: Seeking the Face of God (Part 3)
Series: Living in the Holy Spirit
Text: Key Passage- Deuteronomy 8:3
Main Idea: Knowing God as He Knows Us!
- When it is not about the LORD
- Adonijah- the Narcistic side of our sinful hearts
- Self-exalted, handsome- the son of King David who would assume the Throne (1 Kings 1:5-10)
- Un met expectation hurts his self-image, stunts his cause and brings fear for his own life (1:41-53)
- He desired the safety of the LORD, but not the person of the LORD (See Exodus 21:13-14)
- Unchanged, his heart bears it’s fruit to his own destruction (2:13-34)
- When it is not about the LORD, our sin takes control to our own ruin.
- When it is about the LORD (Philippians 2:1-11)
- Paul presents the example of Christ to be our path- Humility: me < JESUS
III. When this BALANCE is in the Church (1 Corinthians 14)
- God gives gifting through His Spirit for unity; not division (see 1 Corinthians 12:21-13:13)
- The question: is the benefit for us or others?
- Tongues= God and ourselves.
- Prophecy = God, ourselves and others.
- Corporate Gathering is for the advantage of FULL audience to draw closer to God through the declaration and celebration of His invitation through gifting (14:23-25)