Jesus is Coming- Are Your Ready?
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- What is the difference between doubting God and asking the “why” question to God? Which draw us closer to Him and why?
- Define desiring God through the language of 1 Thessalonians 4. How does this encourage others to look toward Jesus through repentance?
- Compare 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 & Job 42:10-17. What stands out to you and why? Aside from Jesus, who are you most eager to be reunited with?
- How does the message of 1 Thessalonians 5 satisfy “knowing God as He knows us”? Can we be ready for Jesus without each other? Are you ready?
Title: Jesus is Coming- Are Your Ready?
Series: Advent Season 2018
Text: Key Passage- 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
Main Idea: Knowing God as He Knows Us!
- Seeking the Face of God through the why’s (Job 23-24)
- Job, having experienced great loss, is directed by his friends to consider his own sin as the reason bad things happened to him. Lamenting his justness, he wishes God would show up! (23:1-12)
- Affirming God’s character, Job realizes that if God did show up he would be terrified! (23:13-17) While his knowledge of God directs his steps to honor Him, the world takes His silence as a license to pursue evil (24:1-25)
- Desiring the Day of the Lord, Job acknowledges the world around him is not ready nor does he understands why God’s children suffer.
- Seeking the Face of God through Desire (1 Thessalonians 4)
- Our Christian living is an obedience resulting from our desire to please God. (Vv.1-2)
- We are not to desire satisfying our flesh, because we know Jesus will come and avenge (Vv.3-7), but in His Spirit be Holy (Vv.8-11). Our submission to this shows others judgment is coming- now is the time to repent! (v.12)
- God, who sees and knows all, will restore and reunite all things in Him (Vv.13-18) KEEP GOING!! (Note Job 42:10-17)
III. Knowing God as He Knows Us (1 Thessalonians 5)
- Knowing Jesus is coming, let us bend all that we are in pursuit of knowing His love deeper and loving Him greater! (Vv.1-10)
- This is a Church-wide effort! (Vv.11-22)
- The God of peace sanctify us completely: whole spirit, soul and body! (v.23)
- We carry this on today- the torch is in our hands and one day will be passed on to the next generation, should Jesus’ Coming be beyond our lifetime.
But if it is sooner, are you ready?!
More in Advent Season 2018
December 9, 2018The Prophet -Jesus is Coming (Part 2)