The Prophet -Jesus is Coming (Part 2)
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- What made Bethel a unique place for the message of God through Amos?
- Explain the significance of Amos 3:7-8. Do we approach God’s Word as a message He wants us to receive? How does this affect our reading?
- Describe Simeon’s relationship with the Holy Spirit. Do you have such a relationship? What stood out to you about his message and why?
- Explain how Jesus was a prophet with a message in the story of John 4. Has God ever led you to speak into someone’s life- if so, describe this experience. How receptive are you to a prophetic word into your life?
Title: The Prophet -Jesus is Coming (Part 2)
Series: Advent Season 2018
Text: Key Passage- 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
Main Idea: Knowing God as He Knows Us!
- An Unexpected Prophet (Amos 3:1-15)
- Amos was a shepherd and keeper of figs who received a Word from God (7:12-16) and goes to Bethel to share it.
- Bethel-a place where God meets with humanity resulting in Worship; a Holy Place
- The place were Jacob removed idols to worship God alone (Genesis 35:1-15)
- The place were Jeroboam restored Idols (1 Kings 12:23-33)
- Where two walked in agreement, the relationship has changed (3:1-10). Judgment is coming (v. 11) and marginal will be saved (v.12). There is no were to escape (13-15)
- NOTE: 3:7-8 -> the Prophet speaks what he has received because God wants us to know and understand!
- The Unexpected Prophecy (Luke 2:22-38)
- Joseph and Mary take their firstborn, baby Jesus, to Jerusalem in obedience to the Law of Moses for purification and presentation at the Temple (Vv. 22-24)
- Simeon, a man who the Spirit was UPON, SPOKE and LED him into the Temple that day praises God for Jesus and speaks prophetically to the family (Vv.25-36).
- NOTE: 2:36-38. What would daily rhythms of worship, fasting and prayer allow you to see and accomplish?
III. The Prophet & Prophecy We Need (John 4)
- A prophet is sent with a message to a woman in Samaria (4:1-6)
- Unsure why this random Jew is hanging out by the well asking for a drink, this woman is curious and engages Jesus more. His words are walking around the walls of her heart (Vv.7-15)
- His Word pierces into her heart, confirming He is a Prophet with a Message for her. She let her walls crumble with affirmation what Jesus was saying-letting go in order to receive God’s love (Vv.16-30) and it spreads (Vv.39-45)