The Journey from Milk to Meat
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- What do you struggle with regarding nostalgic faith? Do you long for the past more than the future? How does this affect you as a present member of Cornerstone Chapel?
- What is the title / character and position of Melchizedek?
- What does Pastor Damian mean by Generational Blessing?
- Why is Jesus serving as both Priest and King difficult for Jewish audiences to accept?
- What does it mean to live as if Jesus is all you have? Do you live your life like this? Why or why not?
Title: The Journey from Milk to Meat
Series: Hebrews: Humanity’s Only Hope
Text: Key Passage-> Hebrews 7:1-18
Main Idea: Jesus-We need to live as if He is ALL we have & need!
- Explosive: Nostalgic Danger (5:7-14)
- Resuming the message from 5:11, the author continues showing how the Priesthood of Melchizedek is superior to that of Aaron / Levitical.
- The audience is challenged with almost a nostalgic sense to their faith in Christ- they are holding on to the past at the expense of the future.
- What’s in a Name? (7:1-2)
- Melchizedek, King of Righteousness, received a tithe from Abram, exalted father / Abraham, Father of many Nations (7:1-2)
- See Genesis 14:17-24
- Most High God, El-Elyon (7:1) is a title shared of God by these men, showing their faith that God is the owner and Sovereign Ruler of all His creation.
- LORD, Yahweh, is the personal, covenant Name of God seen in Genesis 15:1-20.
III. Milk: Melchizedek’s Priesthood (7:3-10)
- His Title reflects his character, King of Righteousness and position, reigning king of Salem (Peace / Jerusalem).
- His ancestry is not recorded (7:3); foreshadowing Jesus.
- Received tithe from Abraham / Generational Blessing (instinct / example / behavior) (7:4-10).
- Meat: Jesus is the Greater as Priest & King (7:11-18)
- As Melchizedek was a Priest and King, so would Jesus be.
- This was difficult to accept because of Numbers 3:10 and 2 Chronicles 26:16-23 (milk). However, it was prophesied in Zechariah 6:9-15 (meat). God is Holy!
- Jesus’ role as High Priest and King show the Levitical / Mosaic Law are no longer in effect; we need to pursue God with Jesus as our Center!
We need to follow and live for Jesus as if Jesus is ALL that we have and could ever need!