A New Covenant- No More Shadows!
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
- What stood out to you about this message and why?
- How did Moses and the Prophets of the Old Testament both prepare and guide the Nation of Israel to Jesus? (Point I)
- How was the Tabernacle / Temple a shadow that Christ could not serve as a High Priest in? Where is Christ serving as our High Priest (Point II)
- Was the Law wrong or weak? What is the difference and why does it matter? (Point III)
- How does Jesus bring us God’s Forgiveness (Point III) where the Law could not? (Point IV) How does this inspire you to live for Him today?
Title: A New Covenant- No More Shadows!
Series: Hebrews: Humanity’s Only Hope
Text: Key Passage-> Hebrews 8:1-13
Main Idea: Jesus’ Salvation is anchored in His Obedience
- The Law Prepares for and Prophets Guide to Jesus
- Moses / Prophets Prepared the People for Jesus
- Deuteronomy 18:15-19
- John the Baptist Guides the People to Jesus
- John 3:22-36
- The Law: A Shadow that Prepares (Hebrews 8:1- 5)
- As our High Priest, Jesus has made an offering on our behalf and sits at the right Hand of the Throne of God (Vv.1-3)
- Holy Places (God’s Presence)-> Exodus 26:31-35
- Jesus could not serve under the Law because He was not of Levite / Aaronic lineage (v.4 / Hebrews 7:11-19)
- The Tabernacle was a type (copy / shadow) of the Heavenly-> See Exodus 25:40
III. The Prophets: A Voice that Guides (Hebrews 8:8-13)
- The First Covenant was with Fault because it was conditional on the obedience of the people
- The Law could not save (weak / not wrong) but was meant to establish a pattern of sacrifice through priesthood in hope of salvation ultimately fulfilled in Jesus (See Hebrews 7:18-19)
- The New Covenant is better / final because it is conditioned on the obedience of the Son, Jesus.
- God would provide the final sacrifice, which would forgive the sinner and transform the heart (Commandment / Holy of Holies) & Believers / Presence of God).
- Note 8:12 / Forgiveness Jeremiah 50:17-20
- The Old Vanishes as the New Arrives (Hebrews 8:13)
- The Law fails and cannot enter the Better Promise (Promised Land)-> Numbers 20:10-13
The Prophets fail and cannot guide where they are not going -> John 18:19-24