The Zeal of the Lord
Topic: The Zeal of the Lord
Going deeper questions (Life Group)
· What stood out to you about this message and why?
· What was significant of the good wine Jesus served? How prone are we to look back to yesterday at the expense of today? How important is having our eyes on God’s Kingdom? (Point I)
· Why did Jesus drive people and animals out of the Temple? What was the source of His zeal? (Point I)
· Why did people come to Jesus? (Luke 6:18) Contrast the four blessings / woes and their result in our lives. (Point II)
· Being God’s Temple, how are we to keep out the things that would pollute it? Is zeal for the Lord resulting in holy works in your life (1 Corinthians 3:10-17)? What role does our gifting play in our life together in Christ (Romans 12)? (Point III)
Title: The Zeal of the Lord
Series: Cleansing our Temple
Text: Key Passage-> Supporting Text
Main Idea: We are gifted to serve; Church trains for Ministry
On Pentecost, when the Disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit Peter gave a sermon that referenced a prophecy that was being fulfilled in this very moment- an outpouring of the Holy Spirit on all flesh (Acts 2:17-21). With such an outpouring (for all in Christ), how are we to pursue growing in love and usefulness for Him?
I. Signs Were Affirmation of God’s Anointing (John 2)
· A wedding experiences the first of Jesus Signs (Vv.1-12)
o Water to Wine- The Best is Yet to Come!
§ See -> Amos 9:13-14
· An Earthly Temple Cleansed by the Heavenly (v.13-22)
o Jesus would purify the Temple (Malachi 3:1-3), driving out the marketers (Zechariah 14:20-21) and in the zeal of David (Psalm 69); a Sign of God’s Kingdom Present yet Coming!
· While Signs draw people to Jesus; Jesus is sure to keep Himself anchored in His identity with the Father, not people. (Vv.23-25)
II. Why Did People Go to See Jesus? (Luke 6:17-19)
· Without the modern means to extend invitation, Jesus as a beacon draws crowds to hear Him, and be Healed.
· Jesus provides Four Blessings and Four Woes to lead His Disciples to know His zeal, and continue His Mission (note John 14: 12-14 / Acts 1:21-22)
· Zeal like Jesus’ doesn’t just happen; it must be pursued!
III. Cleansing our Temple
· We are God’s Temple; Flee Corruption
o See -> 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 /2 Corinthians 6:14-18
· God’s Grace has both saved and gifted us; how we choose to live affects both our love for and usefulness by our Lord.
o See -> Romans 12:3-21