Submission and Love
Topic: Submission and Love
Submission and Love / Text: Romans 13:1-14
Introduction: We are in an avalanche of opinion about Government, CDC, Virus and Quarantine Phasing. How are we to live as God’s Children- How are we to embody in declaration and demonstration the Name of Jesus?
Submission: Recognizing God is in control leads us to submit to God’s governing authorities. (13:1-7)
- All authority that exists has been established by God. Submission to them is equated to submission to God. (Vv.1-4)
- Submission begins with a fear of consequence; over time it is a drive of one’s conscious. (v.5)
- Taxes transition resource from those under the authority into those who are in authority over us. (Vv.6-8) Taxes -> Revenue -> Respect -> Honor. This is the standard expected by those who follow Jesus. Believers are not to be in debt regarding these things.
Question: Is this submission subject to qualification?
Answer: Can anyone attain authority outside of God’s appointment?
Love: Submit in love to one another, which fulfills the Law! (13:8-10)
Question: Who is our neighbor?
Answer: Everyone around us where God has placed us.
- God used King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon to bring discipline to His children. How were they to act? In Submission to God, through Babylon seeking the welfare of their new neighbors. (Jeremiah 29:4-14)
- God used King Darius, a Mede who was a Persian King of defeated Babylon, was used to affirm God’s presence and love to His people. What is the fruit of God’s love in His children? Keeping God first because of love not arrogance to authority. (Daniel 6:1-28)
- God used King Xerxes who ruled the now dominant Persian Empire to empower God’s children to live; affirming God was present and fulfilling His Word toward them and all the world. What is the fruit of God’s love in His children? Trusting in His timing and being submissive to the King whose heart was in God’s hands. (Esther 9:20-22)
- God used King Cyrus of Persia to empower a release of the treasury restoring Temple items to Israel and empowering them to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. God affirmed His sovereign control over all things to work all things in His timing. What is the fruit of God’s love in His children? Patiently waiting and thankfully receiving as from God through king Cyrus. (Ezra 1:1-4)
Application: Understanding how we are to now live in this time of Covid concerns, Quarantine phasing and both National and Kingdom liberty. (13:11-14)
- Paul, submitting to the authority of Rome- the very Empire which would arrest, imprison, beaten and eventually take his life- writes that we live out our submission and love now more than ever!
- Wake Up! In this same breath Jesus gives encouragement to the Church of Sardis through John- wake up! (Revelation 3:1-6) (Dreaming State: selfishness / fear)
- Imitate Christ (Philippians 2:1-11) as a living, selfless sacrifice (Romans 12:1-2)