Sermon Title: “Galatians: Spirit Renewal”
Sermon Series: Galatians: Sons and Heirs in Christ
Text: Galatians 3
Speaker: Pastor Damian Mericka
a. We are all storytellers. How we tell the story is often:
i. The way we were told the story
ii. The way we live out the story
II. How did you get the Holy Spirit? (Galatians 3:1-9)
a. Everything between us and God is triggered by faith.
i. Our relationship begins with faith
ii. Our relationship must continue with a growing faith
b. This has always been God’s A plan
i. It began, continued, and pursued a Kingdom not of this world.
1. Hebrews 11:8-16
c. When it is about works and not faith there is no rest.
i. The Babylonian Captivity was a forced time of rest for the Land; the people refused to give the land any rest and they themselves worked until they became idolatrous, sacrificing their children and ritual prostitution.
1. 2 Chronicles 36:21
a. In Jesus and Paul’s day they were waiting for God to fulfill their expectation of Kingdom Restoration. When God wasn’t about that they either held that and walked away from Jesus or let go of that and embraced Jesus and God’s Bigger Picture.
III. Freed in the Spirit (Galatians 3:21-29)
a. From imprisonment to freedom. As a child growing under the structure of the home- authoritative figures, rules, safety- the relationship with that structure changes when we reach adulthood. The Law changes roles when we are filled with the Spirit through Christ.
i. Deuteronomy 11:18 / Hebrews 10:14-18
IV. Being Renewed in the Spirit (Ephesians 4:17-32)
a. To be renewed in the Spirit of our mind is this:
i. the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us, and a mental, spiritual, and physical renovation begins. It is an ongoing, constant, progressive work that transforms us from the inside out. More like Jesus, in Jesus, and for Jesus.
1. John 3:6 / 1 Corinthians 6:17
ii. It is a renewal that brings God’s Coming Kingdom in power through our lives into the world around us.
iii. Like Communion, it needs to be a weekly renewal happening as we gather in worship together <- I am CONVINCED of this (Pastor Damian)
b. Areas we need to be renewed in the Spirit:
1) _______ Calloused to conviction. Sinning doesn’t bother you.
2) _______ Interested in “extra Biblical” resources / discernment.
3) _______ Trouble telling and living in Truth.
4) _______ Constantly angry, short fused.
5) _______ Trouble sleeping at night (bothered).
6) _______ Stealing (self-gaining focused) / Obsession in spiritual gifting.
7) _______ Do we receive Kingdom Language into our lives; Do we speak Spirit empowered words into other people (edifying) or point out fault?
8) _______ Grieve the Holy Spirit (as a parent watching child make bad choices).
9) _______ Are we motivated by anything other than God’s Love? (malice).
10) _______ Do we walk in the forgiveness of Christ (kind, tenderhearted) and extend this to others?
V. Conclusion: Changing how we tell the story